Are you sick of drinking awful, vomit-inducing, cream-milky whey protein? I am. And I’m glad I took the risk of purchasing MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate (Bitter Lemon and Peach Tea). They mix like juice, taste like juice, and no gross aftertaste. Well friends, today I’ll be sharing with you my honest review of clear whey isolate and why I’m hoarding more flavours.
Update 04/23/2021: I stopped taking this as sadly, this also gave me acne 🙁
What is clear whey isolate?
Clear whey isolate is an isolate rather than concentrate. The product ensures it contains the same amount of protein as a concentrate with fewer calories. Since whey isolate powder is finer than concentrate, it blends much easier and faster.
Is clear whey isolate good?
The nutrition in each scoop of clear whey isolate is pretty impressive. Each serving delivers 20g of protein at under 90 calories per serving. Each serving has 0.1g of fat, 0.3g of sugar, 4g of BCAA and 3g of Glutamine. Sounds good for a juice type of protein right?
What does clear whey isolate do?
Basically, it’s just like your regular whey protein except for none of the milky flavour. They found a way to remove this and turn it into a refreshing drink instead.
MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate
From the MyProtein Website:
Clear Whey Isolate is not just another protein shake. We’ve taken high-quality hydrolysed whey protein isolate and created a light and refreshing alternative — that’s more like juice than a milky protein shake.
And, it tastes great too, with five fruity flavours including Bitter Lemon, Orange Mango, Peach Tea, Mojito, and Rainbow Candy.
Lemon and Lime: Whey Protein Hydrolysate (Milk) (93%), Acid (Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid), Natural Flavouring, Emulsifier (Monosodium Phosphate), Sweetener (Sucralose)
Peach Tea: Whey Protein Hydrolysate (Milk) (97%), Natural Flavouring, Acid (Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid), Emulsifier (Monosodium Phosphate), Sweetener (Sucralose)
How to Mix
I use 1 scoop mixed with 300 to 400ml cold water. After shaking, wait about a minute for the natural foaming to settle and then watch as it gradually clears into a colourful yet translucent and refreshing protein drink.
Okay, I was exaggerating when I mentioned that chocolate or vanilla or any milky flavoured whey protein is vomit-inducing. I was probably sick of drinking the same “taste” for years now! Maybe it’s a personal preference? I only drank the said flavours because I had no choice. But today, I finally have! MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate drinks are heaven-sent.
- Price – Expensive compared to ordinary whey protein drinks. For the same price, I can get a 5 lb tub vs a 1.1lb of clear whey
- Nutrition – As I mentioned above, it packs the same, if not better nutrition than its milky counterpart. 0 fat, 0 carbs, all protein.
- Taste – Once you take a sip, you wouldn’t believe if this was real. You would even doubt yourself. There are even commenters on Reddit asking if MyProtein’s clear whey is legit. It is.
- Flavour – They have 5 flavours in total and I’ve only tried 2 of them. Bitter Lemon tastes like lemonade! Sweet Peach Tea tastes exactly like Sola Peach Tea in a bottle. I just ordered orange-mango so I’ll update you guys on how it fares.
- Mixability – Contrary to what they claim. This is f*** hard to mix, even with a shaker. I had to shake vigorously for 15 minutes straight to get that clear consistency I wanted. If I didn’t it has those white bits that are annoying to see.
- Does it cause acne? I’ve been taking this for more than 2 months already and I’m happy to inform you that clear whey isolate does not cause acne 🙂
I just ordered another flavour which is Orange Mango and I can’t wait to try that one! 🙂 I get mine from Nutrition Depot PH for 1,700 PHP per 20 serving tub. Sometimes they go on 15% off sale and you can buy them for 1,445 PHP
- I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.