The COVID-19 scare got people doing all sorts of things to protect themselves. From wearing face masks, using led lamps, inhaling steam, gargling salt to wearing portable air purifiers. I told myself, that if this product doesn’t show any significant effects. I won’t review it. Why should I? There is mixed feedback online on air purifiers. Some even calling it hoax or placebo.
But before anything else let me tell you this: There is no scientific evidence that wearing a portable air purifier would protect you from the Coronavirus. However, there is also no harm in wearing one for an additional layer of protection. Don’t expect this to veil you with immunity from the virus.
I’ve been using the Aviche Wearable Air Purifier for more than a month, and here is my honest to goodness review + lessons on what really is the use of a personal air purifier.
What is a personal air purifier?
A personal air purifier is also called “wearable negative ion generators” Take a closer look at what they do and how they work:
The basic science behind these personal air purifying devices is that they produce electrically charged ions. These ions carry an electric charge, thus the term “anion” or negative ions.
These negative ions then attach themselves to air particles like allergens, viruses, pollution particles, etc. and negatively charge those particles. This causes the particle to become too heavy to stay within the air. The particle will fall out of the air and find yourself in surfaces around you like walls, tables, chairs, clothes, drapes, etc. instead of making their way towards your nose or mouth and cause allergy or infections.
“In nature, negative ions are generated by processes such as sunlight, lightening, waves from the ocean, and from waterfalls. “Concrete Jungles” minimize the natural production of negative ions by disrupting the delicate electrical balance between the atmosphere and the earth. Ionizer/ionic air purifiers recreate them with electrode pins (“needlepoints”) to electrically produce negative ions. This method produces a density that is many times higher than the negative ion level found at Niagara Falls, the highest natural producer of negative ions and one of the healthiest environments in the world.” – “How Negative Ions Purify the Air” by HeavenFresh
Health Benefits of Negative Ions
Numerous research has supported that exposure to negative ions:
- Help to reduce symptoms of depression
- Have an activating influence on cognitive performance
- Promote antimicrobial activity
Aviche Wearable Air Purifier Review
- Breathe cleaner safer air: The W3 is the leading personal air purifier on the market using cutting edge technology to emit negative ions and push pollutants away from your breathing zone; The W3 Electrostatic Purification radiates a 3-foot orbit of safer air in any direction, creating a sphere of protection against harmful pollutants
- GOODBYE FILTERS: Say goodbye to the hassle of replacing filters; The W3 uses the latest technology in air purification; Using electrostatic purification, the W3 emits millions of negative ions into the air forcing dangerous pollutants, or odors out of your sphere of clean breathable air
- MY BATTERY DIED, OH WAIT IT IS RECHARGEABLE: Replacing Batteries becomes a thing of the past, with the W3; This portable personal purifier operates for 150 plus hours on one single charge ensuring your protection against airborne pollutants; The perfect accessory to protect you during flu season
- TAKE IT ON THE GO: The W3 is the perfect travel accessory for those who love to explore without exposure to unsanitary air; Our W3 model includes a proprietary conductive lanyard which is adjustable and features a breakaway connector for extra safety; Wear it around your neck and have a sphere of breathable clean air anywhere you go
- SPECIFICATIONS: Power Boost Technology provides 9 times more cleaning power; Breathe 875 percent cleaner air, the W3 is certified to filter more pollutants than any of its closest competitors; Silent operation, no noisy fans or motors; No filters to change; USB charging cable, lanyard, and travel case are included
Power Source: Electrical
Type: Negative Ion
Installation: Portable, Necklace Wearable
Capacity (CFM): 20
Power (W): 1
Voltage (V): 5
Brand Name: AVICHE
Model Number: W3
Application: Home, Office, Ward of the hospital, Car, Neck Wearable, Travelling
Function: Release negative ions to remove Smoke, PM2.5
Negative Ion Generator: >5 millions pcs/cm3
Power supply: Built-in Rechargable Lithium battery
Rechargeable: Rechargeable by USB
Running time: 30-35h
Charging time: 3-4h Batter
Lifecycle: >500 times
Where to buy? Aviche Air Purifier on Shopee
First of all, I want to commend the design. The portable air purifier that my mom is currently using has the ion transmitter exposed. So there are times where she’ll get mildly buzzed/electrocuted when it touches her skin or if she’s wearing thin clothing. I remind her to be careful when wearing hers.
I like how mine is egg-shaped, covering the ion-charged tip, protecting me from being electrocuted hahaha!
The lace can be adjusted to short or long depending on your preference. It’s pretty light and feels like wearing a regular ID. If you’re worried about battery life don’t be. Using any USB charger for just 3 hours and it can run a good 24-30 hours on a single charge.
Does it protect me from COVID-19? I don’t know. I can’t tell. All I can say is, I’m still healthy as of writing this article. However, with regards to its other functions. I can say this with sincerity. It helped lessened my allergy symptoms. I live in a province where we have a lot of flowers, plants, trees, and pets. And despite my love for nature and animals, I am cursed with chronic allergies. Sneeze, sniffles, and itch, especially if I forget taking my go-to Loratidine.
But whenever I wear the Aviche Personal Air Purifier, I barely show any symptoms! I can hug my cats and dogs with no *achoooo!*
If you have extra $$$ to spare, I recommend you get one for yourself. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Nothing to lose in wearing a personal air purifier anyway. BUT PLEASE! There are a lot of scammers in the market selling fake everywhere so make sure you’re buying from a reputable seller.
Remember that these devices will not provide you 100% protection from all allergens and viruses like COVID-19. You will still need to practice good hygiene, regular disinfection of hands and surfaces, and social distancing.