I’m carefully sniffing the jar of Cuddler soy candle that I recently purchased from Oonah Handcrafted (950php/ sampler set of 3 jars). The combination of white florals and vanilla gives off a mild throw of comfort inside my small room. I’m enjoying my state of Zen, that I haven’t experienced for YEARS because of my stubbornness to had myself checked with a Psychiatrist.
Scented Candles + Mental Health
I’m sharing you the lists on where to find mental health support, and where you can find nice scented candles in the Philippines online. The lunatic tita in me got inspired to write this lengthy post
(weird combo but yeah continue reading to find out why)
Which one to talk about first?
Okay. Let me tell you the quick story of why I consulted a Psych online, as well as sharing you where you can get yourself help for your mental health.
From Bipolar-2 to Bipolar-1
The first time I visited a doctor was 2012, and I had a diagnosis of Bipolar-2. She recommended Abilify. Which I only took for a day, because I had this mentality that taking meds would lower my intellect (ah, grandiose).
A few wrong decisions, violence, and self-harm got me to visit my doctor in 2015. This time she gave me Lithium. Which I didn’t take after a week of bad skin. Skin > Mental Health was my priority.
Fast-forward to 2020. On the pandemic giving us major stressors and triggers. I’ve been experiencing the ff on a day-to-day basis:
- Impulsive buys
- Suicide thoughts
- Destructive Violence
Most of all, my mind just won’t stop branching out thoughts that exhausts me, but still kept me up til morning. It’s also affecting the people I love the most, like my son Geof.
I had to get help.
Being bipolar or having a mental health issue doesn’t mean it’s a free pass to being an a-hole or a shitty person. We have a choice to get better. I had a choice to get better. So I did.
Where to Get Mental Health Consultation ASAP
I’m sharing you the “list” of where you can consult mental health concerns on-line. But I’m also sharing with you the specific pages that genuinely helped me.
What I’ve personally availed:
- AIDE APP – 2,500 per consultation, instant replies, Psychiatrist
- Psychstart Psychological, Academic and Art Services – 500 per consultation, Psychologist
After a few hours of interview + answering a comprehensive mental health test + a few hours of a live interview via Skype. I was diagnosed to have Bipolar-1, a severe case of Bipolar, worse than Bipolar-2. Ta-da!
FREE ONLINE SERVICES for COVID-19 Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao can be accessed through this comprehensive Rappler article.
Credits to: Silakbo.PH
- NCMH Crisis Hotline: Provides free mental health support for all affected by COVID-19. Reach them at 0917-899-USAP(8727) or 7-7-989-USAP (827).
- Philippine Mental Health Association online counselling: https://m.facebook.com/PMHAofficial/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 Get in touch with them via Facebook Messenger or through pmhacds@gmailcom / 0917-565-2036.
- Thomasian Mental Health Responders: free MHPSS services through https://tinyurl.com/TMHR-COVID19 or text/Viber through +639171521817.
- Mental Health First Responders Emotional/Peer Support Services – access through their Google Form here.
- Services based in UP Diliman
- Ugnayan ng Pahinungód provides free online basic psychosocial support services for members of the UPD community: email@example.com
- UP PsycServ signup here for members of the UPD community, or anyone affected by the pandemic: bit.ly/PsycServ or contact through firstname.lastname@example.org / 09167573157 / 8981-8500 loc. 2496
- UP Health Services Psychiatrist for students of UPD – schedule through https://www.picktime.com/LusogIsip or through 9818500 loc. 111
Online Telemental Health Services
- Mind Care Club: https://www.mindcareclub.com/ (NCR-based network of mental health psychiatrists, psychologists, and counsellors delivering treatment and therapy through video conference online)
- Recovery Hub: https://app.recoveryhub.ph/ (Cebu-based mental health platform that offers Psychiatric Consultations with licensed Filipino doctors through video conference online)
- New National Center for Mental Health (NCMH) Crisis Hotlines – 0917 899 8727 (USAP) and 989 8727 (USAP)
- Natasha Goulbourn Foundation (NGF) – (02) 804-HOPE (4673), 0917 558 HOPE (4673) or 2919 (toll-free for GLOBE and TM subscribers).
- Manila Lifeline Centre (MLC) – (02) 8969191 or 0917 854 9191.
- In Touch Community Services Crisis Lines – Relationship problems, addiction, abuse, other emotional problems. +632 893 7603, 0917 8001123 (Globe subscribers), 0922 8938944 (Sun subscribers). Email at email@example.com.
- Living Free Foundation – Addiction, individual and marital counselling. 0917 322 7087 Email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mood Harmony – Makati Medical Center’s mood disorder support group. (02) 844-2941.
- Dial-a-Friend – (02) 5251743 or (02) 5251881.
- UGAT Foundation – Psychospiritual counseling. (02) 426 5992; (02) 426 6001 loc. 4872-73; email@example.com
- 700 Club Asia – Prayer and counseling services via chat and Skype. (02) 737 0700; 1 800 1 888 8700 (toll-free); 0949 888 8001; 0925 300 3000; 0917 406 5001. Skype: the700clubasia.
- RecoveryHub Philippines – a Cebu-based mental health platform that offers Psychiatric Consultations with licensed Filipino doctors through video conference online
Centers and Foundations
- PsychConsult Inc. – Located at Cubao, Quezon City. Contact numbers are +632 421 2469 / +632 357 6427 / +63917 808 0193.
- Philippine Psychiatric Association (PPA) – Located at Ortigas Center, Pasig City. Contact via (02) 635-9858.
- Philippine Mental Health Association (PMHA) – HQ located at Quezon City, with chapters at Bacolod-Negros Occidental, Baguio-Benguet, Cabanatuan-Nueva Ecija, Cagayan de Oro-Misamis Oriental, Cebu, Dagupan-Pangasinan, Davao, Dumaguete-Negros Oriental, and Lipa-Batangas. HQ contact numbers are +632-921-4958 and +632-921-4959.
- National Center for Mental Health (NCMH) – Mental health concerns and services. Located at Mandaluyong. Contact via 0949 143 6425; 0915 792 6889; 0922 241 3855; (02) 531 9001 (connecting all departments).
- Jaime C. Bulatao, SJ Center for Psychology Services (Bulatao Center) – Located at Ateneo de Manila University. Click the link for a full list of their counseling, clinical, community and training services. Contact at (632) 426-6001.
- Amang Rodriguez Memorial Medical Center – Located at Juan Sumulong Highway, Marikina. Provides basic consulting and brief psychotherapeutic techniques. Consulting Hours are 8 am – 5 pm (Monday to Friday, excluding non-working holidays and work cancellations); Registration Hours/Cut-off: AM Sessions – 8 to 10 PM. Contact at (02) 941-6289.
- Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center Department of Psychiatry – Located at Magsaysay Blvd. Tacloban City. Consultation Hours: 8 am – 5 pm Monday to Friday except for Thursday. AM for old patients, PM for new patients. [FREE!] HOWEVER, one must have registered/had a medical card from New EVRMC Cabalawan before availing of the services.
- Center for Psychological Extension and Research Services (COPERS) – Located at Ateneo de Davao University, E. Jacinto St., Davao City (082) 221-2411 local 8273.
- Prescription Psychiatrists and Psychologists – Outpatient Psychiatry, CBT, Behavioural therapy, marriage counselling. Located at Unit 2511A Centuria Medical Makati Kalayaan Ave. cor. Salamanca St., Brgy Poblacion, Makati. Contact at +63 2 8630655 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ateneo Center for Family Ministries Foundation (CEFAM) – family and individual counseling via a psycho-spiritual approach. Located at Ateneo de Manila University. Contact them at 426-4289 up to 92. [PAY WHAT YOU WANT/AFFORDABLE!]
- In Touch Community Services – Located at McKinley Rd, Makati City. Offers professional counseling (adults, children and families of Filipinos and expatriates), has subsidized counseling options. Offers psychological testing, as well. Contact at (02) 893 1893.
- Reintegration for Care and Wholeness Foundation, Inc. (RCW) – Located at Quezon City. Click the link for the full list of counseling services offered. Contact them at (02) 436 0710.
- Door of Hope Counseling Resource Center – Located at Makati. Individual, couples and family psychospiritual counseling, as well as retreats. Contact at (02) 867 1961.
- Graymatters Psychological Center in Madrigal, Alabang: +639177096961
- Espada Psychological Consultancy – Three multidisciplinary professional psychologists providing mental health services, assessment and intervention in Espada Psychological Consultancy, Room No. 5, Doctor’s Offices Building, Sto. Entierro St., Angeles City, Pampanga: ; 09392921100 / 09158802045;
- Dear Future Self (DFS) Consulting PH – Individual Therapy, Everyday Stress & Anxiety, Relationship Problems, Personal Development & Emotional Counseling, Loss & Grief, Life Coaching: Setting Goals, Priorities & Purpose, Quarter-Life Crisis, Family Issues & Family Therapy; Employee Counseling, Work Stress & Work-Life Balance. Address is at Unit H (KB) One Roxas Square (wazeable) #1 F. Roxas Street Corner Blumentritt San Juan City, Metro Manila. Contact at email@example.com and 0906 683 4789.
- Philippine General Hospital (PGH) Located at PGH Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Department 2/F, Ward 7, Taft Avenue Ermita Brgy 670 Zone 72, Manila, 1000 Metro Manila. Contact Number(s): (02) 554-8400 loc. 2436 or 2440; (02) 554-88470, (02) 526-0150; (02) 554-8469.
Individual Psychological Service Providers
- List of psychological service providers, via Dan Villanueva at the Anxiety and Depression Support Philippines Facebook group)
- Dr. Ampil – Metro North Medical Center, Mindanao Avenue, QC (PHP700/session as of 2018). Contact through hotline: 426-8000
- Dra. Luz Katigbak – Makati Med (PHP2000/session) +639234946673
- Dr. Constantine Della (WESTGATE CLINIC, Alabang) – tel: 09179333446
- Dr. Kristine Roldan (ASIAN, Alabang) – Michelle (secretary) 09178636163 / 027719000
- Dr. Michelle Marie Marinas (WESTGATE CLINIC, Alabang) – tel: 771-13-53
- Dr. Alvin Teopaco (Pampanga) – 09166880888
- Dr. Romeo Yu Enriquez (Angeles University Foundation, Pampanga; Mon-Fri, 10AM-2PM) – for appointments, you may contact his secretary Lorie – 09338504541
- Dr. Myrna Astillero (Pampanga) – 09278125905
Mental Health Support Groups, Pages, Advocacies
- Anxiety and Depression Support Philippines
- Baguio Mental Health Support Group
- Be Healed Foundation
- Boxless Society
- Buhay Movement
- Coalescent Foundation
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, Philippines
- Mental Health Matters by Kylie Verzosa
- Mental Health PH
- Mood Warriors and Phoenixes, Bipolar Disorder Advocacy Philippines
- No To Mental Health Stigma PH
- Philippine Mental Health Association, Inc.
- Psychoeduc8 Philippines
- Psychological Association of the Philippines
- Schizophrenia and Bipolar Philippines Support Group
- Social Anxiety Support Philippines
- SOS Philippines
- Tala Mental Wellness
- Talang Dalisay
- The Julia Buencamino Project
- Van Gogh is Bipolar
- Youth For Mental Health Coalition
More local MH directories/lists
- Mental Health Pilipinas Database [NOT NCR-CENTRIC]
- MentalHealthPH’s crowdsourced directory: bit.ly/MHPHDirectory
- Mental Health Services – 20170416 [NOT NCR-CENTRIC] by Mental Health PH, comprehensively arranged by island group (Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao)
- List of Mental Health Care Facilities in the Philippines [NOT NCR-CENTRIC] for mental hospitals, psychiatric wards, alcohol and drug dependency rehabilitation, counseling, therapeutic facilities for the treatment and care of the mentally challenged, SPED schools, and conflict-management/ skill-building coaching services.
- List of acute and custodial psychiatric care facilities accredited by the Department of Health (DOH) as of December 31, 2016.
- Inigo Sevilla’s crowdsourced directory: bit.ly/MHDirectories
- A-Where-ness PH Map: mhaphmap.com
- Kate Alvarez’s compilation: http://katewashere.com/mentalhealthph/
- ADMU list of MH resources for students compiled by the Ateneo Office of Student Affairs (2018)
- Mental health service in UPD – UP Diliman Department of Psychology’s PsychServ (2018)
- A list of international suicide hotlines per country
- A global crisis center directory by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP)
- Befrienders Worldwide helplines by country
- Drugrehab.com 24/7 hotline across the USA – 855-587-2830
- National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) helpline – 800-950-6264 (M-F, 10 AM – 6 PM ET) across the USA
- In crisis, you may text “NAMI” TO 741741
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24/7 hotline across the USA
- 1-888-628-9454 – nacional de prevención del suicidio en Español
- 1-800-799-4889 – options for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Addiction Resources for American Communities – informational resources on substance use disorders (SUD) in America
- National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) – informational resources on mental illnesses as well as subgroups like LGBTQ and veterans
- Drugrehab.com informational resources on co-occurring disorders, as well as seeking treatment
- Helpful resources for those struggling with suicidal thoughts or feelings via r/SWResources
- Consumer Safety Guide – information on risks of certain substances on American consumers
- BetterHelp – speak with a licensed counselor online
- Mental health resources for those who cannot afford therapy at the moment – a thread of several online counseling resources by Tiffany Howard on Twitter
Where to Buy Scented Candles Online?
Speaking of Bipolar-1, some of our symptoms during Mania are:
- Flying suddenly from one idea to the next
- Rapid, “pressured” (uninterruptible), and loud speech
- Increased energy, with hyperactivity and a decreased need for sleep
- Inflated self-image
- Excessive spending
- Substance abuse
Mania and Depression can vary cycles. A cycle of a phase can last from several days, to weeks, even months!
..and I’ve been obsessed with scented candles recently! They’re SO FREAKING THERAPEUTIC! Just looking at the burn, appreciating the blend of scents, and using the warm wax as hand moisturiser for a massage is heaven.
So I’m sharing with you where you can buy scented candles on-line in the Philippines. I promised that the last order would be the last for now as I’m putting myself on a shopping ban to avoid excessive spending.
So help me God! But yeah, ENJOY!
#1 Oonah Handcrafted
- Shop: www.instagram.com/oonahhandcrafted
- What makes them unique? Oonah Handcrafted is a husband and wife team. They love making and creating and being able to see an idea come to life. Hand poured, small batch. They make their products by hand from start to finish – from pouring to labeling to packaging. They are inspired by Scandinavian, nordic, scandi-boho and modern minimalism.
- What are their best sellers? Blanket, Bourbon, Bloom, Bois
#2 Home Studio Scents
- Shop: www.instagram.com/homestudioscents
- What makes them unique? They make their own unique scents. Their candles have a long lasting scent and has a “clean” burn. No wax is wasted thanks to soy in the blend. They make sure they’re sustainable at the same time, beautiful
- What are their best sellers? Campfire and Clean Sheets
#3 Yoke Candle Co
- Shop: www.instagram.com/yokecandleco
- What makes them unique? Yoke Candle is all about exploration. They use scents derived from the unheard-of like roselle, to the familiar ones like lavender and vanilla. They have a variety of fragrances unlike any other in the market
- What are their best sellers? English Breakfast because of its distinct fragrance. Musky, earthy, but sweet! For the new collection, The Souq, because it’s an acquired taste
#4 Soy and Wick PH
- Shop: www.instagram.com/soyandwickph
- What makes them unique? Born during the pandemic and its concept mainly addressing what is now even more relevant to consumers. They marry sustainability while making spaces beautiful and luxurious. Soy wax is eco friendly as it burns cleaner. Their ceramic jars are re-usable and they offer refilling once you use up their candle! They also use kraft papers for their labels and their packaging are made from recyclable and renewable natural resources that are plant based. All these while making sure their candles deliver the best scent throw and create an ambient mood in your spaces.
- What are their best sellers? Warm Cotton and Fresh Linen. Simple and Classy 🙂
- Shop: www.instagram.com/kandle.ph
- What makes them unique? They’re a brand who believes that pretty things need not to be a burden to the environment. They support sustainability and only use eco-friendly materials. They also use cement vessels for their Kandles.
- What are their best sellers? Sea Breeze, Fresh Linen, and Fresh Bamboo
- Shop: www.instagram.com/eleven.elevenph
- What makes them unique? Their candles are coconut wax and beeswax based. They also made sure to handpick scents that would tap into certain emotions such as focus, relaxation, nostalgia, and peacefulness.
- What are their best sellers? Their bestsellers are Quiet Time and Sweet Dreams, but their personal favorites are Sunset Cocktails and Secret Beach. Those are the scents that would make you calm and make you feel like your on a beach vacay.
#7 Mitsa Co.
- Shop: www.instagram.com/mitsa.co
- What makes them unique? Mitsa Co. is a way for them to empower sustainable living and promote plastic-free culture. All of their containers are reusable and their packaging are biodegradable. They’re also partnered with eco-friendly packaging solutions company, and an eco-friendly courier.
- What are their best sellers? Gentle Dream! It’s a mix of lavender and lemon. It has this clean relaxing scent that is perfect if you need to de-stress after a long day.
Found your pick yet? I want to collect them all! Scents leave a huge impact on our well-being. I just only realized it now. They invoke a certain sense of calm and peace. Achieving the ambiance you want depending on the candle you burn.
Sending you love and positive vibes,